This construction project uses very simple and inexpensive materials and allows for individual interpretation.
Materials include: Electrical Wire / Masking tape / Aluminium Foil / Scissors / Black Cotton Fabric or Calico / Small amount of filling / Glue / Decorative materials
- Students use the electrical wire to create the framework of the figure as shown.
- The main body is created using a small amount of padding either foam or fabric over the wire. The Head is constructed by placing a ball of fabric in between the wire of the head and covering this with a piece of fabric and tying underneath. A small foam ball could be used instead.
- The completed figure is then covered with aluminium foil
- The black fabric is then cut or torn into strips and the strips are dipped in glue (in this case Paverpol was used). A strong wood type glue would be fine, maybe watered down a little for ease of use.
- The glue dipped strips are wrapped around the figure until it is all covered.
- We used found materials for the broomsticks and made the hats out of black cover paper. Muslin is also useful for capes or additional layers.
How to make them:
- Use two sheets of A4 paper
- On one sheet create a pattern using oil pastels and on another use paints. Decide on which artwork will be in Cool colours and which will be in Warm colours
- Choosing one of the completed sheets outline your hands and cut out
- Position these onto the contrasting sheet and fix at varying points to create depth as shown
- This project can be transferred other work such as:
- Autumn Leaves on a Sky background - as example
- Warm coloured patterned Fish on a Sea background
- Butterflies or Flowers on a Sky background